Hire a Licensed Contractor
Unlicensed activity is a serious threat to the health, safety, and welfare of Florida residents and visitors.
Here’s some advice from Florida’s Construction Industry Licensing Board:
• Don’t be victimized by someone making a door-to-door presentation offering to do repair jobs or home improvements "on-the-spot" and requiring a cash deposit.
• Ask to see their Florida state registered or Florida state certified contractor’s license. Visit www.myfloridalicense.com or call the number below to verify that the license is valid.
• Get at least three bids, and ask for references of work the contractor has completed in your area. Make personal contacts and ask about the quality of work.
• Require a written contract with the contractor’s license number on it. Don’t sign if there are any blank areas and until you fully understand the terms.
• Don’t pay cash, don’t let payments get ahead of the work completed, and don’t pay the full cost of the job up-front. Make sure that building material costs are paid; ask for receipts.
• Check workers’ compensation coverage by requesting to see a certificate of insurance. If injuries occur on your property, you may be liable.