This position requires the ability to build homes, lead volunteers and coordinate subcontractors.
The construction job foreman’s (CJF) primary responsibility is to keep the volunteers, both skilled and unskilled, safe and productive. Teaching the volunteers how to construct Habitat for Humanity homes to our standards. The CJF is also required to be hands on and perform the tasks needed to complete the homes as appropriate. This position is the front line to keeping the job-site safe, productive, enjoyable and provide a positive experience for the sponsors, homeowner and volunteers.
This position also performs tasks, repairs and warranty work as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Site Supervision (80%)
• Provide a positive and productive on-site experience for future homeowners and volunteers. Train, equip, and supervise volunteer Dream Builders, partner family members, and other volunteers on site daily.
• Prepare job sites in advance of volunteer days for maximum efficiency of the build team.
• Ensure projects are completed on time, on budget, and meet HFHHC quality standards. Ensure HFHHC homes are built to current building codes and any additional energy/green building certifications.
• Oversee inspections, site security, and site safety.
• Coordinate/Manage material orders, deliveries and subcontractor schedules with VP of Construction. Provide specifications, design, material, and subcontractor feedback as required.
• Perform repairs and warranty work as needed.
• Assist in preparation for special events.
• Attend regularly scheduled department meetings. Coordinate with other CSS’s regarding volunteers, shared tools and other resources.
• Work with Vice President of Construction to establish construction schedule and adjust work as needed.
• Participate in development and project design meetings as required.
• Maintain project files for each assignment; document all relevant changes, schedules and activities.
• Update Builder Trend (web-based construction management software) on project status daily with pictures and reports. Alert Vice President of all delays, potential overruns and changes in scope of work.
• Other duties as delegated.
• Maintain and secure smart phones and tablets provided by affiliate.
• Proven record in construction supervision with increasing levels of responsibility and skills.
• Volunteer experience with Habitat for Humanity or other construction/rehabilitation non-profit organization preferred.
• Demonstrated planning and organizational skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, and function smoothly under strict deadlines and shifting priorities. Ability to multi-task, balance multiple priorities, and work in deadline-driven and fast-paced environment.
• Ability to communicate clearly with volunteers of widely varying skill levels. Capable of leading/motivating an ever-changing volunteer work crew and assigning volunteers jobs within their capabilities. Ability to recruit skilled volunteers and train unskilled volunteers to become “Dream Builders” (Dream Builders are consistent volunteers who develop construction skills and help supervise additional volunteers).
• Ability to follow a construction schedule and coordinate suppliers, subcontractors, staff and volunteers to meet specific construction goals.
• Willingness to work as part of a team to support the Mission of Habitat for Humanity of Hillsborough County and the goals.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job on a construction site. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, tablets, filing cabinets, and fax machines. In addition, this role will entail the receipt, storage and transport of construction materials and tools in bulk.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate perform the following activities: standing; walking; working overtime and weekends as need; exposure to heat, wind, and rain; ladder climbing and general comfort on two story roofs; residential construction skills, driving large trucks and construction equipment; ability to lift 50 pounds or more.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time non-exempt position. The typical workweek is Tuesday – Saturday.
Education, Experience and Attributes
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Experience with construction site supervision.
• Bilingual is preferred.
• Neat and clean professional appearance.
Please note this position description is designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the associate for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please send resumes email@example.com. All resumes will be reviewed upon receipt.
HFHHC is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.